Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Show is up!

First Floor Display at Landkamer Building. I put all my chrome here, since there were fewer of those paintings. Dan suggested putting up the Lanesboro Trail picture (left) to show the two styles I hung for this show.

This photo is the second floor hallway. The photo doesn't show the whole hallway. Trees first, then water, then sunsets and finally my fun ones from Italy. Photos of all the paintings I hung are in my previous posts on my Bittersweet Arts blog.

My goal to have plenty of new paintings for a one person show was met. I really am one of those people who need a goal to work toward. So last Monday, Dan and I went to the Landkamer building and put up my 17 new paintings on the walls of the hallways. Now that they are up and available for all to see, I feel a little let down. A normal reaction to months of work.

I named my show "Split Personality, One Artist, Two Styles" Here is  my artist's statement.


Mankato native, Margie Larson, studied art at Mankato State College where she graduated with a degree in Art Education.  She painted off and on while raising her two sons. After retirement from 20 years at Minnesota State University, she has started a new career as a full time artist. Her studio is in the Emy Frentz Art Guild at 253 South Second Street in down town Mankato. 


One Artist--------------Two Styles
Chrome  
Chrome has a special appeal to Margie. For many years, she and her husband, Dan, have traveled all over the United States to car shows where Dan showed his street rods and Margie spent time admiring the chrome details of the cars. The paintings on the first floor are hard edged, with sharp colors and reflect the characteristics of chrome.
Landscapes 
Margie leans toward landscapes when it comes to favorite painting topics (see the second floor display). In 2005 she was privileged to travel to Italy on a painting retreat with artist, Ann K. Lindsay. Many of the landscapes on the second floor are painted from photos taken on that trip. These paintings are warm, organic and natural and use a soft blended style


This Split Personality exhibit in the Landkamer Building is dejá vu for Margie. The first position she held after gradation from college was selling furniture in this very building for the Landkamer brothers. A good job which taught her much about communication with people. There are many great memories here.


 "Oh my gosh! I forgot to sign the paintings!"
I was in such a focused mode when painting all these for the show that I forgot to sign many of the paintings. Here I am on the day after hanging, signing one of my landscapes from Italy. Dan got a kick out of my typical absent minded artist mode.


Hoping to get more people interested in my paintings, I put a booklet in a holder near the statement for signatures, email addys and comments. I will give away a packet of greeting cards made from images of my paintings for a lucky three people. I would (sneakily) also have email addresses to add to a contact list of interested people. So far................only one person has signed the book! YIKES  They caught on to my master plan!

Now on to my next deadline. More chrome hood ornaments needed and maybe some prints made from those for a sale in June that I have committed myself to.

No comments:

Post a Comment