Monday, August 22, 2011

Sketches from Salt Flats

For all my intentions, I did not paint on the salt flats this year. The water on the flats made the salt so sticky that it was thrown all over us as we drove to the staging area. The roads were quite full of pot holes making the drive out really uncomfortable. My pochade box would have been shaken to pieces and any painting I did would have had a salt crust on it. So next year maybe. I did manage a few sketches of the mountains surrounding the salt flats. The first with the label Pilot Peak is mislabled. Pilot Peak is beyond this mountain. For a flat lander like me these were plenty tall. The salt goes right up to the mountains. White and then purple or brown depending on the time of day.


The flag in the foreground was there to mark the road for the racers as they returned to the staging area. Tiny little cars show the distance. The area the races use is about 5 miles wide by 10 miles long. The cars look like little bugs all over the white salt.



No comments:

Post a Comment